Hello! I'm jumping aboard this blogger confessions train for a few different reasons. 1. I think these are always really fun to read and gain perspective on who the blogger is, and 2. because I think it's important to stay honest on here, especially since I'm someone who is out here in the self-help/encouragement/happy part of the internet. I'm just going to go ahead and jump straight into them, so here we go!
1. I'm not perfect. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know. All that stuff you see about how I go through the same struggles as you and how the internet is only a highlight reel and I've got problems of my own, blah, blah, blah. It's repetitive, but also true. Call me hypocritical, but half the stuff I write on here is the very thing I need to be reading in order to get through my own stuff. My blog is like a very public journal of myself attempting to work through my personal struggles. For some reason I seem to find the answers to my struggles by slapping down long tangents on here about whatever it is that is going on in my life. I don't really know what the people who are reading this think about me, but just know I'm just your average junior getting kicked in the butt by AP Calc everyday, and my life is nothing to fantasize over. Not saying anyone does that, just throwing it out there.
2. I either really care about what people think of me, or I literally could not care less. I don't care what people who have never met me think of me, but I really care about the way the people I love perceive me. I'm constantly worried I come off as annoying because I tend to be over-excited about things and I just have a general craving to get to know people better, and sometimes I'm afraid I come off as weird or obsessive. I guess I just love lovin' on people.
3. I've learned a lot about the parts of me I don't like from observing the things I don't love about others. I read recently that the things that bother you about others are actually the things that bother you about yourself. For me, I'm really bothered when people are judgmental and constantly complaining, but I realized I hate that I do this and consequently I've become a lot more aware of doing these things and attempting to avoid them.
4. Going off of point #3, I'm learning to love growth. I've become obsessed with the process of self-improvement, whether that comes from working on becoming a better person or just working out.
5. I love myself, and I say this un-ironically. I've been through so many changes these past few years, and even these past few months, but overall I'm happy with the person I'm becoming and I think she's going to make a difference in the world, and I can't wait to see where she goes next.
6. I have big dreams, and I believe that they're going to come true. For those wondering, I plan to make my blog a career, work on some exciting projects with some exciting people, and do public speaking events across the country. They're big dreams, but I'm ready to put in the work for them to make it happen.
7. I have a really exciting and secret project coming up that I really want to tell you guys about.... but I can't. Stay tuned. :)
8. I've learned that sometimes you have to consider your feelings first and do what you want to do. My friend taught me this, and I think it's one of the best pieces of advice I've ever been given. How often do we hold back from what we want in fear of how others will react? Too often. Go out there and do the things you want to do, regardless of whether or not you'll be disturbing the status quo.
9. If you're dedicated, you can make those broken headphones work. The state my headphones are in is ridiculous. The part I plug into my phone is at such an absurd angle, but I'm making it work. I live for the says where the music comes out of both headphones as opposed to the usual one.
10. Surround yourself with the people you love. I recently learned the importance of allowing yourself to have a constant support system. It may seem shocking, but it really can be more fun to hang out with people on a Friday night instead of watching Netflix until your mind goes numb.
11. I love branching out. I've just started making a ton of new friends, meeting the friends of people I am friends with, and working hard to grasp new opportunities. Life is more fun when you're interacting with new and interesting people. Everyone has a story to tell, and some stories are so good and so loud that they'll get you kicked out of a Steak n' Shake on a Saturday night.
12. Being nice to people is the move. I'll be honest, I've talked bad about people lot, even about my friends. Right now I'm working on just embracing people for who they are and loving them no matter what they may do to annoy me. It's actually easier to just be kind to people instead of constantly focusing on holding up a grudge with someone and sending yourself a stream of negative commentary about the people you're around.
13. I'm horrible at remembering to write blog posts that people request. I have a bunch of posts I need to write lined up but I always forget to write them or have other ideas for posts that I decide to write before requested ones. So if you've requested something that I've never gotten around to, I'm really sorry, but it will be written eventually. I just have to wait until the moment where I get really inspired and have great ideas about what to write about.
14. Hearing other’s opinions about you can help you grow. You'll learn a lot about yourself even if you don’t necessarily agree with them. I'm really into self-help and improvement, so I love getting constructive criticism on how I can continue to grow into the best person that I can be. Again, the key word is constructive, so only do this if you're in a place where you can handle hearing others opinions on yourself. But, no matter what, always remember that they aren't you, and they aren't the ones making the calls for the kind of person they think you should be. This is all about improvement to be the person YOU want to be, not the person that others want you to be.
15. You will disappoint people but that's okay. It happens, maybe more often than you think. Be okay with it. I'm not saying this in a go-blow-everyone-off-because-it-doesn't-matter kind of way, but in an acceptance kind of way. Know that you can't please everyone all the time. Some people may hold you up to standards that aren't where you can or want to reach. It's okay to be different than what is expected of you, so long as you're doing it because that's the way you want to live your life, and not because you're purposely trying to spite people. Just because you may fail someone, that doesn't mean that you are a failure.
16. Following your passion is the most important thing you will ever follow. Ryan Reynolds's Twitter is a close second, but seriously guys, you have to go after your passion, and you have to go at it right now with full force. I saw a quote on Pinterest that said "passion fuels purpose." Your sense of importance in the world stems from your ability to follow through with your passions. It helps drive you to true happiness and healthy self-esteem. For me, this is my blog (& my big secret project coming up). I feel like I have a place in the world because I've pursued my love for writing and helping others. I know this is what I want to do with my life and I'm ready to attack it with all that I've got.
17. I love people. I really do. I love meeting new people and growing closer to them. I'm that one girl who thinks that I'm closer with people than I probably am, just because I want to be at that level of friendship. I love helping people and having a community of people. This sounds dumb and cheesy but I really just want to be friends with the whole world and know people and their stories and know everything about them and what they love and what they would eat for their last meal. I just love, love, love lovin' on people.
18. Bonus!!! I use too many exclamation points! What can I say?! I'm excited!!!
I guess some of these turned out to be pieces of advice, but overall this is what I've learned through my (almost) 17 years of living. I'm hoping 17 can be the most positive year of growth possible. I'm already crushin' so hard on 2018, so I'm fully ready to gain the extra wisdom that comes with turning a year older to carry me through the next year of my life! I love ya'll!!!!
Thanks so much for reading!! See ya later! <3