notice that i said "healthy lifestyle." not "skinny lifestyle," because skinny doesn't necessarily mean healthy. healthy comes in all shapes and sizes, and the most important thing is to focus on giving your body a healthy environment. with that said, here are my tips:
1. focus on the feeling. it's harder said than done, but when you focus on how you feel when you eat cleaner and exercise, its incomparable to whatever you see in the mirror. health is all about feeling your best, and if you focus on how you feel, you'll automatically feel better about what you see in the mirror.
2. drink water. y'all already know this. if you hate water, spice it up with some fruit (i like lemon or lime. frozen fruit also works as fancier and tastier ice cubes). drinking through a straw also makes it easier. bring a water bottle everywhere you go. water is pretty much the only thing i drink, and its the only thing i ever want to drink. soda and other sugary drinks make me feel crappy, so i've learned to fall in love with water.
3. lifestyle, not diet. the goal of healthy living is to create a maintainable lifestyle, not a ridiculous diet until bikini season is over. find healthy foods you love. don't restrict yourself too much or you'll reach a breaking point. treat yourself from time to time. for anyone wondering, i eat gluten and dairy free. it's not difficult because i know its a permanent choice and i feel so much better without eating those things. i don't feel restricted because i know how much better my body feels. find a balance between enjoyment and health. p.s. if you want to go dairy free but don't know how you'll survive without ice cream, dairy free versions are still really good and i eat them pretty much every night.
4. follow through on your skincare routine. every night and morning. no excuses.
5. wear sunscreen. it's summer and no matter how much you insist that you don't burn, your future self is going to thank you so much for protecting your skin. a lighter tan is a better bet than risking skin cancer.
6. find workouts that you love. i've tried those HIIT workouts, and i honestly hate them so instead i stick with what i like to do. i like quick toning youtube videos and i've started running. don't feel forced to join a gym or do the most popular workout. do what your body enjoys doing. if you love your workout, you'll want to do it more often.
7. sleep more. i've been bad about this lately, but your body needs rest. figure out what time you need to wake up/how much sleep you need and go to bed accordingly.
8. wake up early. i know, i know, it's summer. i used to love sleeping in, but i've realized i actually feel better when i get up at 8 or 9 instead of sleeping until 12. the first 15 minutes can suck, but once i'm up, i'm up and ready to seize the day. i'm able to be productive and i don't need to rush around before work. i'm also more awake for the rest of the day because i don't feel gross from oversleeping.
9. take a night off. i work every day, and after work i'm usually off to hang with friends. but the other night i decided not to make plans. i stayed home with my family, did all kinds of face and hair masks and other things my body needed. i relaxed, did the things i hadn't had the chance to do, and i can't tell you how good it felt. its so important to have a fun social life, but make sure you don't neglect taking time for yourself.
10. keep a healthy mind, too. do something to stimulate your mind: journalling, reading, learning something, whatever works for you. let your mind be a place filled with positive thoughts for yourself and others. this can tie in with spiritual health if that applies to you. keep your mind balanced and a place you wouldn't mind hanging out in.
remember, it's all about creating the happiest & healthiest lifestyle for YOU. it doesn't have to look like anyone else's, because it's a personal journey. this is the only body we have until we can transfer our brains into robot bodies, so let's cherish the ones we've got and treat them with kindness.